Innovating Science® AP® Biology Lab - Investigation #9: Restriction Enzyme Analysis of DNA
Product Number: SB49650
In Stock (Ships within 1-2 business days)
Grades 9-12. Allow students to get the most out of their AP® Biology class with college-level labs designed to challenge the more advanced student. Students will explore key concepts while preparing for higher education. Enough materials provided for eight lab groups.
Students will understand the action and specificity of restriction enzymes while learning the components involved in the process of DNA electrophoresis and the role of each component as it applies to the entire process of electrophoresis. Students will perform the electrophoresis process on DNA samples treated with different restriction enzymes and construct a standard curve using a known DNA sample while determining the approximate size of the DNA fragments in unknown samples. Meets AP® Science Practices 3 and 6, and Big Idea 3.
- 200 ml prepared agarose, 8%
- 60 ml DNA stain, 20X
- 500 ml TBE buffer, 5X
- 100µl DNA samples each of DNA marker (Lambda DNA HindII digest), sample #1 (Lambda DNA), sample #2 (Lambda DNA BstEII digest), sample #3 (Lambda DNA EcoRI digest), and sample #4 (Lambda DNA BstEII digest)
Materials needed but not supplied:
- Agarose electrophoresis chamber
- Electrophoresis power supply
- 10µl micropipettes with micropipette tips
- Microwave or hot water bath
- Distilled or deionized water
- Gel staining trays or similar (large enough container to accommodate flat agarose gels)