Innovating Science® AP® Biology Lab - Investigation #4: Diffusion and Osmosis
Product Number: SB49646
In Stock (Ships within 1-2 business days)
Grades 9-12. Allow students to get the most out of their AP® Biology class with college-level labs designed to challenge the more advanced student. Students will explore key concepts while preparing for higher education. Enough materials provided for eight lab groups.
Students will study the movement of water and nutrients across a cell membrane, observe osmosis in living tissue, investigate the relationship between surface area and volume as it relates to cells and diffusion, examine the concept of molarity and how it relates to osmotic potential and the movement of water, explain how cell size and shape affect the overall rate of nutrient intake and water elimination, and use plant tissue to determine the molarities of unknown solutions based on the direction and degree of water movement. Includes teacher’s manual and student study guide copy masters. Meets AP® Science Practices 2, 4, and 5, and Big Idea 2.
- 45 g agar
- 15 ml bromothymol blue concentrate
- Two 25 ml containers of 2.0M hydrochloric acid
- 8 agar block casting trays
- 8 plastic cups, 5 oz.
- 40 plastic cups, 7 oz.
- 8 plastic knives
- 8 plastic stirrers
- 8 metric rulers
- 40 pieces of dialysis tubing
- 72 microscope slides
- Cork borer
- Sucrose QuickSolution (to make 1 L of 1.0M solution)
- Sodium chloride QuickSolution (to make 1 L of 1.0 M solution)
- Glucose QuickSolution (to make 1 L of 1.0 M solution)
- Ovalbumin QuickSolution (to make 1 L of 5.0% solution)
- Food coloring set (red, blue, yellow, green)
- Sucrose QuickSolution set to make 1 L each of 0.2M solution (Solution #3), 0.4M solution (Solution #2), 0.6M solution (Solution #5), 0.8M solution (Solution #1), 1.0M solution (Solution #4), and distilled water (Solution #6)
Materials needed but not supplied:
- Paper towels
- Distilled or deionized water
- Electronic balance
- Large onion
- Fine-point forceps/tweezers
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, or yams