Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
Nasco Encaustic Sculptures Classroom Kit
Product Number: 9742786
Grades 6–12 Explore new materials and encaustic wax as a medium to create sculptures. With the included lesson plan and materials for a class of 24 students, demonstrate how to create diverse and dimensional sculptures using natural materials such as beeswax, wood, paper, and more.
Encaustic is a Greek word meaning
to hear or burn in. Heat is used throughout the process, from melting the beeswax to fusing the layers of the wax. The medium is melted and applied with a brush or any tool that the artist chooses. Beeswax is extremely versatile. Pigmented color can be mixed in with it and used to paint with or it can be used in 3D works of art, such as sculptures, using the wax to mold and bind the sculptural elements to create the project.
After completing this project, students will be able to say:
- I can understand the design process.
- I can explore using wax medium with paper to create a sculpture.
- I can make an artist statement through the design and materials used to create my sculpture.
- Encaustic Sculptures Lesson Plan, Vol. 118
- Encaustic Medium (5 lb. bag)
- 6 in. wood cut-out circles (24 total)
- Patterned paper
- 1 in. bristle brush (24 total)
- 2 in. bristle brush (24 total)
- 24 tweezers
- Unbleached baking paper
- Enkaustikos® Slick Wax (6 oz.)
- Encaustic Heated Palette
- 6 metal tins (2 oz.)