Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
Holistic Goat Care - A Comprehensive Guide to Raising Healthy Animals, Preventing Common Ailments, and Troubleshooting Problems
Product Number: C34950
In Stock (Ships within 1-2 business days)
By Gianaclis Caldwell.
Goats have provided humankind with essential products for centuries, indeed, they bear the noble distinction of being the first domesticated farm animal. From providing milk and meat for sustenance and fiber and hides for clothing and shelter to carrying packs and clearing brush, there isn’t much that goats cannot do. Managing goats successfully requires an understanding of how nature designed them to thrive, including nutritional and psychological needs, as well as how to identify a problem and intercede before it’s too late. This resource offers readers a comprehensive guide to maintaining a healthy herd of goats, whether they are dairy goats, meat goats, fiber goats, or pet goats. Holistic Goat Care will empower even novice goat owners to confidently diagnose and treat most of the ailments that goats might experience. For the experienced goat farmer, the book offers a depth of insight and approaches to treatment not found in any other book. Places special emphasis throughout on holistic, natural, and alternative approaches to caring for goats, including information on:
- Handling and managing goats using their natural instincts as an asset
- Developing good farm management practices such as appropriate housing and fencing systems as well as manure and mortality management
- Making feeding decisions based on understanding goats’ ruminant digestive system and their evolutionary needs
- Growing forage and garden crops as feed and utilizing wild browse
- Troubleshooting health problems based on assessing symptoms
- Implementing advanced health procedures such as pain control, fecal testing, and transplanting rumen microbes from healthy to sick goats
- Diagnosing, treating, and preventing more than 75 common goat ailments
Whether your herd is two or two hundred, this first-of-its-kind, comprehensive book will help you keep your goats healthy, safe, and productive while giving you a deep and enjoyable insight into the wondrous creature that is the goat. Full-color photographs and illustrations throughout. 368 pages, 8 in. x 10 in. Hardcover. Copyright 2017.