Factors Affecting Bridge Strength - Lesson Plan Volume 5
- Create two geometric shapes (square and triangle) to determine which is more stable.
- Relate examples of bridges they have seen.
- Describe the example, draw a picture of it, and learn the names of the three main types of bridges: beam, arch, and suspension.
- Learn that each of these types may be included in a complex bridge.
- Learn that a truss bridge is a form of beam bridge.
- Apply their knowledge of geometric shapes to design a truss bridge.
- Build a truss bridge from their design and test its weight bearing ability.
- Apply critical thinking to build their bridges.
- Experience team building and real world problem solving.