Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
This trainer is designed to assist in the teaching of procedures in relieving a tension pneumothorax. These instructions do not include medical procedures describing how to complete a pneumothorax reduction.
The Pneumothorax Simulator consists of a rigid upper torso with a simulated ribcage, covered with a foam liner, and then a lifelike vinyl skin. The simulator can be transported easily in its custom carrying bag.
The Pneumothorax Simulator is provided with an assembled foot-pump for easy inflation of the pleural space bladder. The replaceable bladder has two compartments and is reversible. That allows for usage of both sides of the pleural bladder.
TO REVERSE THE BLADDER
- Loosen plastic cover secured with hook and loop fastening at the base of the manikin (Fig. 1).
- Turn cover 180° to access the interior of the manikin (Fig. 2a and 2b).
- Unplug the tubing connector from the valve attached to the pleural bladder (Fig. 3).
- Unsnap the bladder from inside the shoulder area (Fig. 4).
- Fold the double bladder so the used half is down (Fig. 5).
- Slide the bladder into the torso (Fig. 5).
- Snap into place.
- Plug connector half way into the valve of the top bladder (Fig. 6).
- Turn the cover up into place, align hook and loop discs and press to secure (Fig. 7).
Each side of the bladder may be punctured many times before replacement is necessary.
NOTE: It is not necessary to deflate pleural bladder after a class session. However, should you desire to do so, follow steps 1 through 3 above.
Wash with warm, soapy water after each use, rinse with clear water, and wipe dry with a soft cloth. Do not immerse.
Caution: Manikins’ soft flesh-colored parts are extremely porous and can be easily stained by ink from pens or printed material, lipstick, grease and dirt. Do not let these items come in contact with manikin or stains will most surely occur and be difficult or impossible to remove. There is no warranty coverage for ink stains.
REPLACING PNEUMOTHORAX SKIN
- Cut away the old skin, exposing the foam-covered ribcage (Fig. 8).
- Loosen hook and loop cover at base of manikin and turn cover 180° to access the interior of the manikin.
- Unplug the connector from the valve attached to the pleural bladder and pull tubing through the hole in the side to the outside of the manikin.
- Powder the inside of the new skin and the outside foamed shoulder area of the manikin.
- Place the opening of the new skin over one shoulder about 2” down a little at a time alternating the shoulders. Once the skin is past the breast area it will begin to slide easier (Fig. 9).
- Pass tubing assembly connector through the hole to inside of manikin and reconnect to valve on pleural bladder (Fig. 10).
- Turn the bottom cover up into place. Align hook and loop discs and press to secure.
Caution: Fingernails can easily puncture the skin.
Suggestion: Skin replacement is easier when two people are involved.
Simulaids warrants their products to be free from defects in materials and/or workmanship for a period of three years from the date of purchase, as evidenced by the date on the invoice of the product shipment to the end user. The warranty expressly does not cover abuse, accidental or purposeful damage, or any form of modification to the product. This warranty does not cover moulage products. Only products manufactured at the Simulaids plant in Saugerties, NY receive this limited warranty status. All other products sold through Simulaids, but manufactured elsewhere, are subject to the warranties supplied by the product manufacture. These warranties may differ from the Simulaids warranty.
Simulaids reserves the right to either repair or replace affected parts or the entire unit, at their sole discretion, after investigating and reviewing the actual product and the damage. In most instances, a digital photo of the product in question showing the damage will help qualify a product for return to the factory. At no time will any product be accepted without proper return authorization issued by Simulaids. Please contact our Customer Care department to arrange a return and obtain a RGA number. Freight and shipping charges are the sole responsibility of the end user. No product will be received with shipping charges due.