LF01193U-LF01196U, LF01213U-LF01216U, and LF01221
This newborn-size infant weighs 2.8 lbs. and is 21" in length with a 14-1/2" head circumference. The simulator will allow healthcare facilities and medical staff to teach special procedures and develop a nursing care plan for special needs infants. The simulator was developed for a wide range of educational training including beginning nursing students. Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, or function as needed. Medical devices that can be used include tracheostomy tube and suction catheter, gastrostomy tube, nasogastric tube, and urethral catheter. Procedures that can be practiced include:
- Tracheostomy site care (lavage and suctioning)
- Gastrostomy care (lavage and gavage)
- Nasogastric care (placement, lavage, gavage, and suctioning)
- Urethral catheterization (insertion, placement, and care)
- Colostomy stomas, nonfunctioning (attachment of ostomy bag and basic care)
- Special Needs Infant assembled with movable arms, legs, and head; internal nasogastric tube and reservoir bag, gastrostomy reservoir bag, and catheter bladder tube
- Tracheostomy site
- External colostomy stoma
- Back panel enclosure
- White diaper
- 4 oz., 125 ml squeeze bottle
- Soft carry bag
- Instruction manual
- Five-year warranty card
It is recommended to use a standard 8 FR or smaller nasogastric tube. Both the right and left nostrils will accept NG tubes. DO NOT use formula or other real food products during training. It is recommended that water only be used to simulate the feeding process.
- Remove the back panel enclosure to access the NG stomach reservoir.
- Be sure the NG stomach reservoir (bag) is securely connected to the tubing that comes from the neck. Allow for rotation of the luer fitting when connecting the bag to the tube. Do not twist or kink the neck tubing. (See Figure 1.)
- Attach the stomach bag via the hook-and-loop fasteners on the body wall.
- Lubricate the nasal passage before each training. Squirt a small amount of water into the nose with the squeeze bottle provided. (See Figure 2.)
- Following the manufacturer's instructions, feed the tube into either nostril.
- When training is complete, remove the NG tube. Disconnect the stomach bag, remove from the body, and drain as much water as possible. Prior to storing the simulator, the bag should be left disconnected to allow any residual moisture to dry.
A size 3 neonatal tracheostomy appliance may be used in placement practice. Practice tracheostomy site washing and suctioning. It is recommended that water only be used. The tracheostomy site is not connected to the oronasal system; use caution when simulating lavage.
- Lubricate the appliance (not included) liberally with a water-based lubricant prior to placing.
- Place the appliance according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove the appliance following each application.
- Clean any residual lubricant with a soft cloth and warm soapy water.
- Ensure tracheostomy site is clean and dry prior to storing.
It is recommended to use a 14 French gastrostomy tube. DO NOT use formula or real food products; use water only.
- Remove the back panel enclosure to access the gastrostomy reservoir. (See Figure 3.)
- Ensure the gastrostomy reservoir (bag) is securely attached to the interior body wall. (See Figure 4.)
- Ensure the hole in the interior bag is lined up with the exterior gastrostomy site by looking through the exterior gastrostomy hole. (See Figure 5.)
- Lubricate the G-tube with a water-based lubricant before use.
- Insert and inflate the tube following the manufacturer's instructions.
- When training is complete, remove the G-Tube. Disconnect the internal gastrostomy bag, remove from the body, and drain as much water as possible. Prior to storing the simulator, the bag should be left disconnected to allow any residual moisture to dry.
It is recommended to use a standard 8 French latex or silicone intermittent catheter. DO NOT use a Foley catheter. A silicone catheter may ease insertion, as it is somewhat stiffer.
- Remove the back panel closure to access the bladder tube.
- Remove the luer cap of the bladder tube. (See Figure 6.)
- Carefully inject water using the provided squirt bottle. (See Figure 7.)
- Re-cap the bladder tube tightly.
- Prop the simulator in a semi-reclining position with a diaper or paper towel underneath to catch any leakage that may occur. (See Figure 8.)
- Lubricate the catheter with water-based lubricant, taking care not to block the drain holes.
- Loosen the luer cap when ready to begin; water will NOT flow when the tube is tightly capped.
- Insert the catheter; squeezing and releasing the tubing with your thumb and fingers as you do so may help start the flow.
- Stop insertion as soon as the flow begins and leave the catheter in place until it stops completely.
- Remove the catheter immediately after training. Leaving the catheter in place for extended periods may permanently damage both the catheter and the simulator.
- Prior to storing the simulator, allow the bladder tube to air dry by removing the luer cap.
Prior to storing the simulator for long periods of time, ensure all reservoirs are clean and dry. Clean normal soil with a soft cloth and warm soapy water. Stubborn stains can be treated using Nasco Cleaner. Apply Nasco Cleaner to a clean, dry cloth and apply to the soiled area, rubbing gently until soil is removed.
NEVER place the simulator on any kind of printed paper or plastic. These materials, as well as ballpoint pens, will transfer indelible stains.
Prior to storing the simulator for extended periods of time, ensure the reservoir bags, bladder tube, and inside of the manikin are clean and dry.
- If fluid will not flow into the catheter following appropriate placement, loosen the cap of the bladder tube.
- Leaking may occur with repeated catheterizations. Allow the soft material of the bladder tube valve to close before the next attempt at catheterization. Bladder tube replacement may be necessary if leakage persists.
LF01197U – Replacement Nasogastric Tube Reservoir (Bag)
LF01171U – Infant Tracheostomy Tube (Size 3 Neonatal)
LF01198U – Replacement Gastrostomy Tube Reservoir (Bag)
LF01221U – Replacement Bladder Tube
LF01074U – Intermittent Catheter, 8 FR
LF01074(A)U – Intermittent Catheter, 8 FR, Pkg. of 10
LF00907U – Pediatric Ostomy Bag, Closed Pouch System
LF00985U – Lubricant Kit, 2-oz. Bottles, Pkg. of 6
WA23413U – Fitted Cloth Diaper
LF01149U – Soft Carry Bag
LF09919U – Nasco Cleaner