Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
ABOUT THE SIMULATOR
The Life/form® Infant Airway Management Trainer is a realistic simulator for the training of intubation skills. Nasco has taken great care to create an airway management trainer that is anatomically correct in respect to both size and detail.
Landmarks include gum line, tongue, oral and nasal pharynx, larynx, epiglottis, arytenoids, false and true vocal cords, cricoid ring, tracheal rings, trachea, esophagus, lungs, and stomach. Nasco’s Infant Airway Management Trainer allows you to practice oral intubation, and suction techniques can also be performed and evaluated. The simulator was designed to use an uncuffed endotracheal tube measuring up to 4.0 mm I.D.
Install your new Infant Airway Management head to an existing infant CRiSis™ manikin, or use as a stand alone trainer, or as a replacement head for the Infant Airway Management Trainer Stand.
LIST OF COMPONENTS
- Infant Airway Management Head
- 8-oz. Bottle of Pump Spray Lubricant
- 2 Red Caps
The Infant Airway Management Trainer, Head Only can be used as a stand-alone trainer or as a replacement head for Life/form® Basic (LF03707U), Intermediate (LF03700U), Complete (LF03709U), and Deluxe (LF03718U), Infant CRiSis™ manikins or the Infant Airway Management Trainer with Stand (LF03623U).
To replace the head on a manikin:
- Remove the chest skin by unhooking it at the buttons. (See Figure 1.)
- Remove the lung plate and detach the lungs. (See Figure 2.)
FIGURE 1 (left side); FIGURE 2 (right side).
- Remove the chest foam assembly, pulling it from the umbilical cord. (See Figure 3.)
- Remove the existing head by pinching the 2 prongs attached to the head and pulling it through the bracket. (See Figure 4.)
FIGURE 3 (left side); FIGURE 4 (right side).
- Replace the head by sliding the 2 prongs back through the bracket. (See Figure 5.)
To replace the head on stand:
- Lift the bracket fixed on the board. (See Figure 6.)
- Slide the 2 prongs into the bracket. (See Figure 7.)
FIGURE 6 (left side); FIGURE 7 (right side).
- Ensure the parts are secure before starting intubation training. (See Figure 8.)
Before using the Infant Airway Management Trainer, lubricate both the oral cavity and the endotracheal tube you plan to use with the pump spray lubricant provided. (See Figure 8.)
Please Note: Nasco recommends the use of the provided lubricant for the Infant Airway Management Trainer. The use of a silicone-based or similar lubricant may cause damage to the simulator, thus voiding Nasco’s warranty on the trainer.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Cleaning the Face and Head
Normal soil can be removed from the face and head of the trainer with mild soapy water. Nasco Cleaner (LF09919U) will remove stubborn stains. Apply Nasco Cleaner to the soiled area and wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel. Note: Do not apply Nasco Cleaner around the mouth or nostrils as the residue of the cleaner could be toxic.
Cleaning the Airway
- If a manikin is being used, remove the head from the manikin, and take the trainer to an area with a sink and open counter space.
- Using the two red caps supplied, plug the esophagus and trachea. (See Figure 9.)
- Stabilize the head on the counter face up (towels work well for this) with the plugged tubes over the sink.
- Carefully pour warm soapy water (mild dish soap works best) into the mouth until the water level covers the tongue. You may need to tilt the head up slightly to allow the water to completely fill the system.
- Take a small soft brush and gently scrub the inside of the mouth and nostrils (a small soft toothbrush and cotton swabs work well for this).
- When done, pull the plug from the esophagus and drain the water into the sink.
- Holding the head vertically over the sink, pull the other plug from the trachea to completely empty the system.
- Rinse the airway with warm tap water following the same procedure to clean until all the soap has been flushed from the system.
Disinfecting the Airway
- Repeat steps 1-4 of the cleaning procedure using a bleach solution mixed as specified for the Centers for Disease Control.
- Fill the system with the bleach solution until it reaches the corners of the mouth. Note: Start filling with the simulator on a flat surface and tilt the head up as needed to fill the system.
- When filled, allow the head to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse as described in steps 7-8 of the cleaning procedures.
- Set the head aside and allow to air dry completely prior to next use or storage.
Store clean, dry, Infant Airway Management Heads while attached to a manikin or stand in the hard carry case.
- Ink, ballpoint pen, and some printed plastics or paper may leave an indelible stain. Avoid placing the simulator in contact with these materials.
- Cosmetics or other moulage type make-up may also transfer an indelible stain.
- Silicone-based or similar lubricants may cause damage to the simulator.
- Use uncuffed 4.0 mm I.D. endotracheal tubes or smaller.
- Damage to the gum line, tongue, oral and nasal pharynx, larynx, epiglottis, arytenoids, false and true vocal cords, cricoid ring, trachea rings, trachea, and esophagus must be returned to Nasco for repair.
- Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.
SUPPLIES AND REPLACEMENT PARTS
LF03598U – Replacement Stomach for Head Only (LF03621U) or Head on Stand (LF03623U)
LF03599U – Replacement Lungs for Head Only (LF03621U), Head on Stand (LF03623U), or any Life/form® Infant CRiSis™ manikins (LF03700U, LF03707U, LF03709U, and LF03718U)
LF03644U – 8-oz. Pump Spray Lubricant
LF09919U – Nasco Cleaner
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.