1.800.431.4310 nascohealthcare.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2015 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP065-15
About the Simulator
Ideal for the teaching, training, or evaluation of any gynecologic procedure, including bimanual exam with palpation of uterus and ovaries, rectal exam, speculum exam, Pap test, HPV test, cytology sampling, and fetal fibronectin test and evaluation.
List of Components
- Lower Torso
- Pelvic Organ Block
- Uterus/Cervix Set (7)
Normal/Normal – A
Retroverted/Cervicitis – B
Cancer/Cancer – C
IUD Demo – D
Post-Menopause/Herpes – E
Fibroids/Polyp – F
Early Pregnancy – G
- Ovary Set (5)
Normal – (2)
Large Adnexal Mass
- Prolapse/Bladder Inserts (2)
- Genital Pad
- Gel Pad
- Abdominal Pad
- Abdominal Skin
- Methyl Cellulose
- Blood Powder
- Primary Colors Makeup Wheel
- Injury Shades Makeup Wheel
- Baby Powder
Hard Carry Case (not shown)
- Place the pelvic organ block into the torso as pictured, making sure it is locked in place beneath the pubic bone. (See figure 1.) Note: See Special Features section related to use of the bladder before moving forward.
- Select a uterus/cervix piece and attach the ovaries as shown. (See figure 2.) Ovaries may be used in any combination with uterus/ cervix pieces except letter (D) IUD.
Note: The permanent tubing extending from the normal uterus (A) can exit the lower torso in any position convenient for procedure. See Discharge Option in the Special Features section for additional information.
Figure 1 (left image), Figure 2 (right image)
- Insert the uterus/cervix into the cavity in the pelvic organ block. (See figure 3.)
- Fasten the genital pad onto the torso. Fold the top edge over the pubic bone then attach as shown. (See figures 4 & 5.)
- Place the gel pad into the abdominal cavity The pad should cover the ovaries, but not the uterus. (See figure 6.)
Figure 3 (top left image), Figure 4 (top right image),
Figure 5 (bottom left image), Figure 6 (bottom right image)
- Place the abdominal pad on top of the gel pad. (See figure 7.)
- Attach the abdominal skin to the sides of the torso. (See figure 8.)
Figure 7 (left image), Figure 8 (right image)
- Remember to ALWAYS thoroughly lubricate anything that will be put into the introitus or vaginal vault. Failure to do so will damage the simulator and void your warranty. Nasco recommends a waterbased lubricating jelly.
- Patent Urethra: The patent urethra will accept a Foley catheter (16 FR or smaller). The catheter may be inflated, although the bladder is not designed to hold fluid.
- Bladder: The bladder insert may be used to simulate a full bladder. Insert the bladder into the Pelvic Organ Block as desired for training scenarios during the initial steps of set up. (See figure 9.)
- Prolapse: The double-ended pelvic organ prolapse insert may be positioned anywhere within the vagina. Be sure to lubricate the insert before placement. (See figures 10 and 11.)
Figure 9 (left image), Figure 10 (center image), Figure 11 (right image)
- Discharge Option: The normal uterus (A) has an optional discharge function. In a small cup, mix a small amount of methyl cellulose and/or blood powder with water to get the desired color and consistency. (Use caution – blood will stain fabric and skin.) Fill the syringe and inject the mixture through the tubing until it comes out the cervix. (See figure 12.) Rinse all parts thoroughly before storage.
Additional training modules may be purchased separately. The components in these modules may be used interchangeably with the components in the basic unit.
Care and Maintenance
- Always lubricate any object that will be placed into the introitus or vaginal vault. Use the supplied lubricant or water-based lubricating jelly.
- All components may be washed in warm soapy water when soiled. Rinse thoroughly and dry well before storage.
- The fabric abdominal pad may be laundered when soiled.
- Components should be removed from the torso and packed separately if the simulator will be transported or stored for a prolonged period of time.
- Use a small/medium vaginal speculum. The unopened speculum should fit comfortably into the introitus. Using equipment that is too large will damage the simulator, voiding your warranty. Lubricate before each use.
- Never insert anything sharp, including fingernails, into the simulator.
- Take care not to puncture the gel pad.
- Simulated blood will stain skin and fabric – handle with care!
- Simulated blood, moulage, makeup, dyes, markers, inks, and printed materials may leave indelible stains on the simulator. If you wish to include any unsupplied materials in your simulation, always test them on an inconspicuous area and clean promptly.
- Do not use this trainer to simulate birth.
Tips and Tricks
- A light dusting of baby powder will make the genital pad and abdominal skin feel more realistic.
- A little soapy water in the vaginal vault will mimic natural moisture for a more realistic effect.
- A second fabric pad (purchased separately) in the abdominal cavity may be used to simulate an overweight patient.
- Makeup has been supplied with the simulator. This may be applied to simulate various conditions of the cervix, vagina, and external genital area. Experiment to get the effects you want. Always remove makeup promptly to prevent permanent stains. Remove as much as possible with paper towels or tissues, then wash the components in warm water and detergent. Mineral oil or Nasco Cleaner on a soft cloth should remove any remaining color. Leaving the makeup on longer increases the likelihood of staining. Red colors are more difficult to remove.
- Other materials or certain foods such as cottage cheese, yogurt, gelatin, or baby food, may also be used to simulate common conditions and diseases of the female reproductive tract. Check products containing dyes on an inconspicuous area of the torso to test for staining. Always disassemble the components afterward and wash thoroughly with warm soapy water, especially if using perishable products. Rinse well and dry before storage. Nasco cannot be responsible for damage to the simulator resulting from the use of unauthorized materials.
LF01237U Pelvic Organ Block
LF01239U Uterus Set (7)
LF01240U Ovary Set (5)
LF01241U Prolapse/Bladder Inserts (2)
LF01238U Genital Pad
LF01234U Gel Pad
LF01242U Abdominal Pad
LF01236U Abdominal Skin
LF03774U Methyl Cellulose
LF09919U Nasco Cleaner
LF00760U Injury Shades Makeup Wheel
LF00761U Primary Colors Makeup Wheel
LF01244(A)U Sexually Transmitted Disease Module
LF01244(B)U Post-Menopause Module
LF01244(C)U S.A.N.E. Module
LF01244(D)U Pre-Puberty Module
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.