LF01184U & LF01185U
1.800.431.4310 nascohealthcare.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2015 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP039-05/RV 9-15
About the Simulator
Life/form® Venatech IM and SubQ General Operation Instructions
The Life/form® Venatech IM and SubQ Simulator fits on the area of the deltoid muscle as well as the vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, ventrogluteal, and dorsogluteal areas. Because there is fluid in vessels within the simulated tissue, there is an actual possibility of seeing simulated blood in the hub of the needle on aspiration. Students will be able to use critical thinking skills they have learned through didactic training and put those skills to use in clinical simulation. Students will also learn essential patient communication skills, such as explaining the procedure to the patient, asking them to relax, etc.
List of Components
- Life/form® Venatech IM & SubQ Trainer
- 20 cc Luer Lock Syringe
- 3 cc Syringe with 20-Gauge Needle
- White Towelette
- Blood Powder Concentrate with Small Spoon
- Hook-and-Loop Extension Strap
Note: The simulator comes assembled, see components image below.
- Foam Core
- Muscle Pad
- 2 Stopcocks
- In a small container, mix a few spoonfuls of synthetic blood powder with 1/2 cup of water. Stir to dissolve the concentrate.
Note: Trainer comes with enough blood concentrate for several uses.
- Using the 20 cc luer lock syringe included in the kit, fill syringe with synthetic blood. (See figure 2.) Next, open both stopcocks at the end of each “vein.” Screw the syringe into one of the stopcocks, then charge the veins until fluid runs out of the end of the open stopcock. Close the stopcock on the vein from which the fluid ran out. Remove the syringe and close the stopcock.
- Using the hook-and-loop strap provided, attach device to area where IM or SubQ injection skills will be taught. For hip region, attach hook-and-loop extension strap included in kit.
- The simulator is now ready for practice.
Care and Maintenance
After each class use, flush “blood” out of veins with tap water. Remove skin, muscle pad, and foam “core” from the base. Rinse the foam if needed to remove synthetic blood, then allow to air dry.
Once the foam is dry, replace skin and foam pieces back onto the base of the device and store in box.
Note: Be sure the trainer is dry and excess water is drained from the veins before storing.
Ordinary soil can be removed from the skin by washing with soap and warm water. Newsprint or similar printed paper or plastic will permanently stain the trainer if prolonged contact occurs. Stubborn stains may be removed with Nasco Cleaner (LF09919U) by dispensing it on the area and wiping with a soft cloth or paper towel.
Skin and Vein Replacement
- Remove both stopcocks and set aside for future use. (See figure 3.)
- Remove the trainer from the base and set the base aside for future use.
- Remove the skin. Peel off the old skin to reveal the muscle pad and foam “core.” (See figure 4.)
Figure 3 (left image), Figure 4 (right image)
- Remove the muscle pad to expose the veins and pull the veins free from the channels in the foam “core”. (See figure 5.)
- Remove the veins by first disconnecting the Y-connector from the back of the foam “core.” Pull the veins through by the T-connector and discard. (See figure 6.)
Reverse this procedure to put replacement veins and skin on.
Note: Threading new veins through the base of the foam “core” can be difficult. Use caution to not tear the foam “core.” A little water or baby powder on the veins and foam “core” may help guide the veins through the holes.
- The synthetic blood is specially formulated to be compatible with the self-sealing veins and plastics used in manufacturing the trainer.
- NEVER use synthetic blood for intramuscular injection.
- Do not use dull or burred needles, as these will cause leaks in the system. Burred needles will cause permanent damage. To help prolong skin life and prevent damage, we recommend using smaller needles (20- to 25-gauge).
- Do not allow “blood” to dry on the trainer – it may stain.
- Do not clean the trainer with solvents or corrosive material, as they will cause damage.
- Use care when working with the blood concentrate – it WILL stain clothing.
The Life/form® Venatech IM and SubQ Simulator is only intended for use in a teaching or other controlled environment in which the skills learned with the trainer are taught or evaluated. This trainer should only be used under the supervision of a properly qualified instructor or other health care professional proficient in the skills taught with the trainer.
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.
LF01177U Vein Replacement Kit
LF01186U Light Skin and Vein Replacement Kit
LF01187U Dark Skin and Vein Replacement Kit
LF01188U 5 Replacement Blood Powder Packets with .15 cc spoon
LF09919U Nasco Cleaner, 12-oz. Bottle