Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
1.800.431.4310 nascohealthcare.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2000 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP 021-00/RV 9-15
About the Life/form® CPR Dog Airway System
The sanitary airway consists of a nosepiece with a non-rebreathing valve and a hose system (airway) with one-way valve, lung, and exhaust tubing. The system is designed to minimize cross-contamination between students. Each student should use a separate nosepiece that should be discarded after use, as it cannot be effectively sanitized. The hose system and lung should also be replaced regularly to prevent the buildup of moisture and potentially harmful bacteria. The use of a face shield (not included) between the nosepiece and the muzzle is recommended to prevent direct mouth contact with the fur.
List of Components
A - Basic Sanitary CPR Dog, B - Nosepiece with Valve (10); C - 12 cc syringe; D - Tube of Lubrication Jelly, 4 oz.; E - Disposable Lower Airway (2); F - 6.0 mm Tracheal Tube; G - Soft Carry Bag
- The CPR Dog comes with the airway system already installed. (See figure 1.) Before use – remove the soft black nose from the valve stem and wash in mild detergent and water. Sanitize in a solution of 1 tsp. bleach in a quart of water. Rinse well, dry, and reassemble.
- To begin training, simply position your face shield over the dog’s muzzle and push the valve end of the nosepiece through the shield into the white fitting in the muzzle. If necessary, cut a small X in the shield through which to fit the nosepiece. (See figure 2.)
- After use – noses and valves should be discarded. Any attempts at cleaning or disinfecting for repeated re-use are done at the customer’s own risk.
Replacing the Airway
- Remove the nosepiece. (See figure 3.)
- Open the zipper along the dog’s back far enough to fold back the fur and expose the airway.
- Fold back the fur on the top of the muzzle.
- Remove and discard the disposable lower airway and lung.
- Insert the new disposable lower airway starting at the nose end, making sure that the lung lies flat against the chest.
- Feed the exhaust tubing out the hole in the dog’s back. (See figure 4.)
- Replace the muzzle and body fur and close the zipper.
Training with the Life/form® CPR Dog
CPR should always be performed from the back of the dog with the animal lying on its right side (left side UP). Place the dog on a firm, nonslip surface.
Clamp the dog’s mouth shut with both hands and blow gently into the nose. Watch for chest to rise. Do not overinflate.
Endotracheal Tube Placement
ET tube placement may be practiced by inserting a 6 mm (included) or 6.5 mm lubricated endotracheal tube into the simulated trachea at the back of the throat. Inflate the cuff on the ET tube with the included 12 cc syringe.
Note: Chest rise is visible only by the mouth-to-nose ventilation.
Place your hands on the dog’s chest just behind the shoulder, at the point where the left elbow would meet the body if the leg were pulled backward. Perform chest compressions at the rate and depth consistent with current protocol. (Guidelines change and depend on size of animal.) Avoid excessive pressure, as this may damage the trainer. Resuscitation may be practiced with one person or two, with one performing compres- sions while the other ventilates.
The femoral artery tubing is located in the left hind leg. By manipulating the squeeze bulb, the instructor can simulate a variety of heart rates and conditions. (See figure 5.)
Care of the Trainer
The body fur may be unzipped and removed for cleaning.
- 1. Nasco recommends hand washing in cool water with a few drops of mild soap or detergent, rinse thoroughly.
- Roll in a towel to remove excess water, then allow to air dry.
- Gently brush fur if desired. A small amount of “shedding” is normal.
- The fur on the face and legs may be cleaned by rubbing with a damp cloth. Do not immerse the dog in water. Never use cleaning fluids or solvents.
LF01164U – Disposable Nosepieces, pkg. of 10
LF01157U – Muzzle Replacement, pkg. of 6 (2009 and older)
LF01158U – Disposable Lower Airways, pkg. of 10
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.