Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
About The Simulator
The Life/form® Intraosseous Infusion Simulator is a dramatic and exciting training aid designed to demonstrate and simulate the intraosseous infusion procedure. The simulator allows students to learn and practice with incredible accuracy and realism a procedure that has been very difficult to simulate in the past. The specially designed simulator allows the student to practice the procedure several times without replacing the bone structure. This special structure, combined with traditional Life/form® realism, makes for a very accurate simulation of the procedure. Five-year warranty.
List of Components
- 1 Case
- Body on Stand
- 10 Bone Inserts
- 2 Disposable Towels
- 1 Syringe (60 cc)
- 1 Lubricating Jelly
- 1 Wax Piece
- 1 Liquid Lubricant (1/2 oz.)
- 4 Leg Skins
- 1 Pint Life/form® Artificial Blood
General Instructions For Use
- Place the simulator on a flat surface, such as a tabletop. Lay disposable towel under the knees to absorb any overflow. (See figure 1.) Additional towels may be placed under the knees for support.
- Prepare the blood mixture in the bottle provided. To prepare the mixture, combine the red coloring, 1 full tube of lubricating jelly, and 1 1/4 cups of tap water in the pint bottle provided. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds or until contents are mixed completely.
- After “blood” is mixed, fill the syringe by placing the tubing end into the bottle and drawing blood mixture into the syringe. (See figure 2.)
FIGURE 1 - left side, FIGURE 2 - right side
- Lubricate the inside of one set of leg skins with the liquid lubricant. (See figure 3.)
- Slide the leg skins over the feet (one left and one right) into position. (See figure 4.)
FIGURE 3 - left side, FIGURE 4 - right side
- Connect the tubing from the syringe to the bone piece. Apply liquid lubricant to the entire bone, including the two locking grooves. (See figure 5.)
- Slide bone piece into position in the legs. (See figure 6.)
FIGURE 5 - left side, FIGURE 6 - right side
- Make your first needle insertion and remove the needle stylus. (See figure 7.) Proper insertion and pressure applied to the syringe will allow “blood” to flow through the tubing and fill the bone. When you observe “blood” flowing up through the needle, the bone is completely charged. Each new bone will need to be charged in this same manner. Correct subsequent insertions will produce an immediate flow of fluid through the needle. To reduce pressure being placed on the bone, pull the plunger on the syringe back once verification of proper placement has been made. This will decrease the amount of “blood” that may leak from the bone.
- The bones have been designed so all four sides can be punctured. Carefully remove the bone from the leg and wipe clean. Remove a small piece of wax from wax piece and work with fingers until soft. Rub the wax piece back and forth across the bone holes until they are sealed. A thin layer of wax left on the bone surface over the holes will help in sealing. (See figure 8.)
FIGURE 7 - left side, FIGURE 8 - right side
- Finish by applying a thin film of Nasco lubricant over the whole bone. Turn the bone 90 degrees and reinsert into the leg. (See figure 9.) Do this until all four sides of the bone structure have been punctured, at which time the bone can be discarded.
The Intraosseous Infusion Simulator duplicates a procedure that requires a great deal of pressure to be placed on both the simulator and the needle being used. Extreme caution should be taken to avoid pushing the needle completely through the simulator, injuring the person performing the procedure. Nasco cannot be responsible for injuries resulting from improper use of the simulator. IO drill systems may also be used with this simulator.
Clean Up Procedures
- Remove and discard any bones that have been charged with blood mixture.
- Remove leg skins and use paper towels to completely wipe the simulator and remove any “blood” or lubricating agents.
- Drain the syringe and discard any of the blood mixture.
- Use clean tap water to flush and clean the syringe and tubing. Allow to air dry.
- Place dry items back into case for storage.
LF01109U – Bone Replacement Kit – 10 leg bones, wax, and 2-oz. lubricant
LF01110U – Left and Right Leg Skin Replacements, Pkg. of 4
LF01111U – Simulated Blood Mixture – 1 Pint Container with Simulated Blood Powder and 1 tube Lubricating Jelly
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.