(For use with the LF01090U Diagnostic and Procedural Ear Trainer)
1.800.431.4310 nascohealthcare.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2009 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP099-09/RV 5-16
About the Simulator
The Pneumatic Otoscopy Kit offers critical real-time feedback to help examiners refine these skills and learn how much pressure to apply in order to conduct a safe and informative diagnosis. Before performing pneumatic otoscopy, it is essential that examiners learn to generate the appropriate amount of pressure, as markedly abnormal tympanic membranes will move if enough pressure is applied, resulting in erroneous diagnoses and patient discomfort.
Pneumatic Otoscopy Kit
For use with the LF01090U Diagnostic and Procedural Ear Trainer.
- Simulates normal and abnormal tympanic membranes.
- Fluid may be injected into the middle ear cartridge with the syringe to simulate a bulging tympanic membrane or the presence of an air-fluid level.
- Pull back on the barrel of the syringe to simulate a retracted tympanic membrane.
Important: Please read the instruction booklet provided with the manometer to familiarize yourself with all of its features. Additional manometers (LF01077U) are available from Nasco.
List of Components
- Pneumatic Pressure Gauge
- 2 Pneumatic Ears with Pressure Tubing
- Eardrums, Precut, Approximately 100
- Hard Carry Case
- Install an eardrum on the standard middle ear cartridge. Insert the cartridge into either pneumatic ear. (See figure 1.)
- Attach the ear to the head, feeding the tubing out the hole in the back of the neck. Attach the syringe to the cartridge tubing. The syringe will be used for fluid injection, and for inflating and deflating (i.e. retracting) the eardrum. (See figure 2.)
- Connect the ear tubing to the fitting on the orange manometer tubing. (Keep the other section of orange tubing as a spare.) Push the other end firmly over the + barb of the manometer. (See figure 3.) All connections must be airtight.
- Turn the manometer ON.
- Select “inH2O” (indicated along the bottom of the display screen) by pressing the UNIT button. (See figure 4.)
- Ensure that the otoscope speculum creates an airtight seal in the ear canal, then apply a puff of air with the insufflator bulb. (Otoscope not included.) (See figure 5.) A normal tympanic membrane should move freely with a pressure up to 20 inH2O. The manometer will display the highest pressure detected in the ear canal and can be reset for further practice.
- After training, turn the manometer OFF. Always disassemble the trainer and drain any fluids before storing.
LF01076U – Pneumatic Ears, set of 2
LF01077U – 5 PSI Manometer for Pneumatic Ears
LF01091U – Replacement Eardrums, pkg. of 100
LF01092U – Ear Wax Jar
LF01094U – Replacement Standard Cartridge
SB41548U – Standard Otoscope
SB48102U – Ear Specula for Standard Otoscope, 2.5 mm, pkg. of 100
SB48700U – Ear Specula for Standard Otoscope, 4 mm, pkg. of 100
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.