Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
About the Simulator
The Life/form® Tracheostomy Care simulator is the most realistic approximation of a patient available today. Careful attention to detail is incorporated into this pseudo-patient. Suctioning techniques, proper cuff inflation, dressing techniques, and other techniques can be practiced and critiqued. Patient education is another feature to which this simulator lends itself.
List of Components:
- Tracheostomy Care Simulator
- Instructional Manual
- Life/form® Lubricant
- Carrying/Storage Case
General Instructions for Use
This simulator may be used in all methods of tracheostomy care. Individual methods and procedures may differ from instructor to instructor and hospital to hospital. Therefore, this booklet does not propose to outline a particular procedure to be followed. Rather, it is recommended that a procedural manual and the instructor’s directions be followed. This will eliminate confusion and best serve the individual instructor and curriculum.
Procedures That Can Be Performed on This Simulator:
- Oral-pharyngeal suctioning
- Nasotracheal suctioning
- Tracheal suctioning via tracheostomy
- Dressing changes
- Stoma cleansing
- Changing of the tracheostomy tube
- Cuff inflation
- Changing of tracheostomy ties
Anatomy Present on Simulator:
- Oral passages
- Nasal passages
- Right and left bronchi
Care of the Simulator
Normal soil can be removed with mild soap and lukewarm water. Use Nasco Cleaner (LF09919U) to remove stubborn stains. Simply apply Nasco Cleaner to the soiled area and wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel. Solvents or corrosive materials will damage the simulator. Never place simulator of any kind of printed paper or plastic. These materials will transfer an indelible stain. Ballpoint pens will also make a permanent stain.
- Do not cleanse the stoma area with Betadine® or any similar, colored disinfectant. Do not let the simulator come in contact with any kind of printed paper, plastic, or ballpoint pens. These materials will permanently stain the product.
- With repeated use, the suctioning catheter will become soft and pliable, making it difficult to insert. When this happens, you must either use a new catheter or stiffen the existing one by placing it in a refrigerator or on ice for a few minutes.
- Heavy lubrication must be used while practicing procedures. This simulator will not function properly unle ss heavy lubrication is used. Use Life/form® Lubricant only. Water soluble solvent is not to be used.
- This model was designed to simulate the actual “feel” of performing nasotracheal suctioning; hence, one will feel some resistance in passing the catheter. It is imperative that plenty of lubricant be used so that unnecessary resistance is avoided.
- Exercise the same care with this simulator as would be used with an actual patient. Excessive pressure and abuse will shorten the unit’s life.
Supplies/Replacement Parts for Tracheostomy Care Simulator
LF09919U Nasco Cleaner
LF00985U Life/form® Lubricant Kit
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.