The Life/form® Episiotomy & Perineal Laceration Trainer offers students and instructors the unique opportunity to customize the simulator to fit their training program. Accurate anatomical details and soft, life-like tissue offer a complete training experience. For the first time, discreet muscle structures can be isolated and incised to represent first-degree through fourth-degree perineal lacerations.
List of Components
- Episiotomy & Perineal Laceration Trainer Pad
- Suture kit
- Carry bag
Setting Up the Trainer
- Flex the soft pad slightly and fit it firmly into the hard base.
- Bend the wire stand to the desired angle. Set the base with pad onto the stand. Adjust the angle again if needed.
Making the Incision
- Plan the location and depth of the incision you wish to make. The incision may represent a natural tear or any type of episiotomy.
- Each training pad includes the bulbocavernous muscle, transverse perineal muscles, external anal sphincter, and rectal mucosa. Cut slowly and carefully with a sharp scalpel, taking care not to damage anything other than the intended structures.
- Nasco recommends making only one incision through the perineal muscles. Additional pads may be purchased to make a variety of incisions.
- The flexion in the pad will cause the incision to open naturally. The pad may be removed from the base and flexed manually if needed to obtain a clearer view of the internal structures.
Suturing the Incision
- Make sure that the pad is securely fitted into the base. Set the base on the stand if desired.
- Suturing supplies have been included with the trainer. Any other standard sutures may also be used. Smaller needles and finer suture material will prolong the life of the simulator.
- Pull up each suture gently, without overtightening.
- Carefully remove the sutures before storing the trainer.
Care of the Simulator
- The soft pad is made from a chemically and biologically inert material that requires little care.
- Everyday soil can be removed by washing in water with a little soap or mild detergent. Dry thoroughly before storing. Washing the pad from time to time will also help it to stay in the base.
- Do not expose the plastic base to excessive heat.
Replacement Parts for Life/form® Episiotomy & Perineal Laceration Trainer Kit
LF01045U – Episiotomy Laceration Pad Replacement
LF01045(A)U – Episiotomy Laceration Pad Replacements, Pkg. of 3
LF07000U – Suture Thread with Needle
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.