About the Simulator
The Life/form® Infant Male and Female Catheterization Trainer is an inexpensive 2-in-1 trainer that provides realistic practice of this difficult procedure. Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, or function as needed.
- Practice catheter insertion and position
- Feel resistance and pressure as with a real patient
- Urine flows when catheter is in proper position
- Practice both male and female infant catheterization training
- Anatomically realistic with both male and female genitals
- Genitals made of soft, lifelike material
- Replaceable male and female genitals
- Lower half of infant only
List of Components
- Infant torso
- Female genitals set
- Male genitals set
- Infant intermittent catheter (8 FR, 6")
- 4-oz. squeeze bottle (125 ml)
- 2-oz. bottle of Life/form® lubricant
- Storage box
- Instruction manual
General Instructions for Use
Changing of the Male and Female Genitals
- To install genitals, insert and slide bladder tube with genitals through opening in torso. Guide the bladder tube through the top cover and position genitals firmly in place within the torso. (See figure 1.)
- To remove genitals, make sure bladder tube cap is closed, then pull genitals through torso while gently pushing the bladder tube through the top cover. (See figure 1.)
Inserting the Urinary Catheter
- The trainer is designed for use with a standard 8 French latex or silicone intermittent catheter only. The silicone catheter may be easier to use as it is somewhat stiffer. Do NOT use a Foley catheter.
- To fill the bladder tube, remove the luer cap and carefully inject desired amount of water using the squeeze bottle provided. Recap the bladder tube tightly until ready to begin actual training. (See figure 2.)
- Prop the simulator in a semi-reclining position with a diaper or paper towel underneath to catch leakage that may occur.
- Lubricate the catheter with water-based lubricant, taking care not to block the drain holes.
- Loosen the luer cap when ready to begin; water will not flow when tube is tightly capped.
- Gently and slowly insert the catheter. Squeezing and releasing the tubing with your thumb and finger as you do so may help to start the flow. Stop insertion as soon as flow begins, and leave the catheter in place until it stops completely. (See figure 3.)
- Always remove the catheter immediately after training. Leaving the catheter in place for extended periods, especially if it is the latex type, may permanently damage both the catheter and the simulator.
- When storing the trainer, allow the bladder tube to air dry by removing the luer cap.
Note: The soft material of the trainer's catheter valve may sometimes fail to return to its fully closed position after catheterization, resulting in some leakage if the bladder tube is refilled immediately. If so, you may wish to begin catheter insertion before opening the luer cap. If leakage persists, remove the bladder tube cap and insert the catheter into the tube from the top. Gently tap the tip against the valve several times. Continued leaking may require replacement of the badder tube.
Care of the Simulator
- Normal surface soil can be removed with a mild soap and lukewarm water. Use Nasco Cleaner (LF09919U) to remove stubborn stains. Simply apply the cleaner to the soiled area and wipe with a clean, soft paper towel. DO NOT clean the simulator with solvents or corrosive materials, as they will cause damage.
- NEVER place the simulator on any kind of printed paper or plastic. These materials, as well as ballpoint pens, will transfer indelible stains.
LF00905U – Infant Ostomy Trainer
LF01035(A)U – Replacement Genital Insert – Female
LF01035(B)U – Replacement Genital Insert – Male
LF01074U – Infant Intermittent Catheter (8 FR, 6")
LF01074(A)U – 10 Infant Intermittent Catheters (8 FR, 6")
LF00985U – Life/form® Lubricant Kit, 2-oz. Bottles (Pkg. of 6)
LF01221U – Replacement Bladder Tube
LF09919U – Nasco Cleaner
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco Healthcare reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.