About the Simulator
The Life/form® Ear Examination Simulator makes it possible to practice examination of the human ear in a very realistic way. Specially molded to exactly simulate external and internal physical appearance and dimensions, the plug-in, removable ears are easily changed. Life-size, full-color prints on film, embedded at the tympanic membrane, provide the same realistic views experienced with a live patient. The life-like, flexible texture of the ears requires the same manipulation when using the otoscope as required on a live patient. Realistic “cleaning” exercises are possible with the synthetic “earwax” provided with the simulator.
List of ComponentsA. Ear Exam Simulator
B. 2 Bottles of Synthetic Earwax
C. Image CD
D. Lubricant, 2 oz.
E. Ear Replicas, Basic Nursing Set
1. Normal Tympanic Membrane
2. Mucoid Otitis Media
3. Serious Otitis Media with Fluid Level
4. Chronic Otitis Media with Perforation
5. Normal Tympanic Membrane with Slanted Ear Canal (same photograph as ear no. 1)
6. Normal Ear Canal with Wax (no photo)
F. Hard Carry Case
Advanced Nursing Set (LF01020U sold separately)
Ear Replicas, Advanced Nursing Set
7. Chronic Otitis Media with Large Perforation
8. (A) Attic Cholesteatoma (B) Attic Cholesteatoma
9. Atelectatic Middle Ear Otitis
General Instructions for Use
For easy usage, the embedded photos in the ear replicas included with the Basic and Advanced Nursing Sets are identified by the corresponding images included in the Basic Nursing Set disk.For Examination with an Otoscope:
- Select the ear to be examined.
- Use the supplied lubricant to coat the plug of the simulated ear. (See figure 1.)
- Gently push ear into head. (See figure 2.)
- Examine ear with otoscope using recognizing procedures.
- Gently remove ear from head by grasping the plug of the simulated ear. (See figure 3.)
- Select the ear to be examined.
- Select the yellow or brown earwax.
- Lightly shake the capped ear wax prior to using as some settling of the material occurs.
- Lightly squeeze the desired amount of simulated ear wax into the ear replica. (See figure 4.)
- Perform examination procedures.
- Remove simulated earwax with a cotton swab prior to storing.
Care of the Simulator
Normal soil accumulated on the surface of the, simulator can be removed with mild soap and lukewarm water. Use Nasco Cleaner (LF09919U) to remove stubborn stains from the simulator. Simply apply to soiled area and wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towels. Return clean, dry replicas to the hard carry case. For extended storage periods, store clean, dry replicas and simulator in clear unprinted plastic for added protection. (See figure 5.)
- Handle ears carefully to prevent accidental tearing of the soft material.
- DO NOT remove ear by pulling on the earlobe.
- Solvents or corrosive materials will damage the simulator.
- Never place simulator or ears on any kind of printed paper or plastic. These materials will transfer indelible stains. Ballpoint pens will also make indelible stains.
Accessing the Images on Image CD
- Remove CD from protective sleeve and place in computer disk drive.
- Locate the “Computer” section and open it.
A. On Windows® 7, this will be located by opening the Startup/Windows® icon on the lower left-hand side of the computer screen, left click the heading “Computer,” and double left click on the CD drive. Then open the “Ear_images.pdf” by double left clicking it.
B. On Windows® XP, locate the “My Computer” section and open it. This will be located by opening the Start/Windows® bar on the lower left-hand side of the computer screen, left click the heading “My Computer,” and double left click the CD drive. Then open the “Ear_Images.pdf” by double left clicking it.
C. On a Mac®, a CD icon with the title “Ear_Images” will appear on your desktop and you double click that icon to open the images.
- Use the scroll bar on the right-hand side of your screen to explore the pdf images on the disk.
All 9 images are included in LF01019U.
- Normal Tympanic Membrane
- Mucoid Otitis Media
- Serous Otitis Media with Fluid Level
- Chronic Otitis Media with Perforation
- No Slide
- No Slide
- Chronic Otitis Media with Large Perforation
- a. Attic Cholesteatoma
b. Attic Cholesteatoma
- Atelectatic Middle Ear Otitis
Supplies/Replacement Parts for Ear Examination Simulator
LF01020U Supplementary Set of Ear Replicas for Advanced Training
LF01021(A)U Normal Tympanic Membrane Ear Replica
LF01021(B)U Mucoid Otitis Media Ear Replica
LF01021(C)U Serous Otitis Media with Fluid Level Ear Replica
LF01021(D)U Chronic Otitis Media with Perforation Ear Replica
LF01021(E)U Normal Tympanic Membrane with Slanted Ear Canal Ear Replica
LF01021(F)U Normal Ear Canal with Wax (no photo) Ear Replica
LF01021(G)U Chronic Otitis Media with Large Perforation Ear Replica
LF01021(H)U Attic Cholesteatoma (A) Ear Replica
LF01021(I)U Attic Cholesteatoma (B) Ear Replica
LF01021(J)U Atelectatic Middle Ear Otitis Ear Replica
LF01021(K)U Tympanosclerosis Ear Replica
LF09919U Nasco Cleaner
Actual product may vary slightly from photo. Nasco reserves the right to change product color, materials, supplies, or function as needed.