Make sure Nasco Education is on your preferred vendor and bid lists! Send inquiries to: [email protected]
1a - Front; 1b - Back
1.800.431.4310 eNasco.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2018 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP LF00903
About the Simulator
A retracted stoma is pulled into the abdomen instead of on the outside of the body. This training model was developed to aid in training techniques in pouch changing, cleaning, and caring for this type of stoma. The anatomy of the colostomy was carefully reproduced to provide lifelike appearance and functions. A soft, pliable material is used for the stoma in order to achieve the most realistic tactile sensation. Dilation of the stomas can be demonstrated and practiced, along with application of postoperative and permanent ostomy bags.
Procedures That Can Be Performed
• Cleaning and washing of stomas
• Applying pouching apparatus
List of Components
• 1 Syringe (12 cc)
• 2-oz. Simulated Stool
• 2-oz. Simulated Lubricant
• 1 Latex Glove
• 1-Way Stopcock
• 1 Easel
• 1 Manual
2a - Stopcock in open position
3a - Stopcock in closed position
General Instructions for Use
To prepare your retracted ostomy for use with simulated stool:
1. Fill the syringe with a desired amount of the simulated stool.
2. Ensure the stopcock is in the closed position, and attach the stopcock to the syringe, twisting until firmly in place. (See figures 1 and 2.)
3. Attach the unused end of the stopcock to one end of the tubing.
4. Lubricate the remaining end of the tubing and insert into the back of the simulator (See figure 3), stopping at the front of the stoma.
5. Open the stopcock and depress the syringe to initiate flow of the simulated stool to the simulator. (See figure 2.) An assistant is recommended to operate the syringe while the student, patient, or teacher is working on the model. They can add the element of surprise drainage to the ostomy for a more realistic learning experience.
To prepare your retracted ostomy for use with ostomy pouching apparatus:
1. Follow the preparation instructions above for using simulated stool. 2. Clean the retracted ostomy with mild soap and water. Other products that prep the skin for better adhesion are not recommended, such as, but not limited to, alcohol, skin prep, and Betadine®. 3. Prepare the pouching system according to the manufacturer’s directions. 4. Apply the pouching system according to the manufacturer’s directions. The simulator is manufactured with material that will accept the adhesive from pouching product.
Care of the Simulator
1. Immediately after use, the tubing of the simulator should be flushed with warm water. Cleanse the syringe, the stopcock, and simulator using the same method to prevent adherence and drying of simulated stool.
2. Drain all fluid as thoroughly as possible. Allow the simulator and components to dry before returning model to the corrugated box.
3. Normal soil can be removed with mild soap and water. Nasco Cleaner will remove stubborn stains. Apply Nasco Cleaner to the soiled area and wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel. Allow to dry thoroughly before storing.
4. Simulated stool may be salvaged and reused. Dispense remaining stool from the syringe and tubing back into the supplied 2-oz. container. If desired, the consistency of the synthetic stool can be made thinner by adding water. If exposed to air for a period of time, the stool will become thicker. If not completely hardened, the stool can be reconstituted by adding water.
1. As with all Life/form® simulators, this unit must be handled as if it were a real patient for the best learning experience and the longest service life.
2. Do not attempt to use a substitute for Life/form® simulated stool. Product warranty is VOID if other materials are used.
3. Solvents or corrosive materials will damage the simulator. Never place simulators on newsprint or any printed paper or plastic or ball-point pen. These materials will transfer indelible stains.
Supplies/Replacement Parts for Enema Administration Simulator
LF09919U Nasco Cleaner
LF00896U Adult Ostomy Bag
LF00962U Simulated Stool
LF00985U Lubricant 6 pack of 2-oz. bottles