1.800.431.4310 eNasco.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2018 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP LF00901
About the Simulator
The Life/form® Prostate Examination Simulator closely duplicates the tactile qualities of clinical prostate examination. It accurately portrays various stages of prostatic carcinoma and helps the student learn to distinguish clinically between the benign gland and malignancy.
List of Components
• 2-oz. Bottle Life/form® Simulator Lubricant
• 4 Glands — Stages A, B, C, D
The Life/form® Prostate Examination Simulator duplicates a male lower torso and has been developed from an actual specimen. Every effort has been made to duplicate human surface textures.
The various glands supplied with this simulator are larger than normal or diseased prostate glands. These glands, when inserted into the pelvic cavity, are intended only to demonstrate the tactile qualities of prostatic carcinoma and not the shape or size of a prostate gland removed from the pelvic cavity.
The Prostate Examination Simulator has been designed to familiarize the physician in training or the medical student with the characteristics of the benign gland. After he/she gains confidence that the consistency and regularity of the benign prostate can be readily recognized, he/she can use the simulator to learn to detect small areas of carcinoma. The various glands accompanying the simulator show the natural progression of the tumor from one that is operable and potentially curable, to those in more advanced stages where palliation is all that can be offered.
General Instructions for Use
1. ALWAYS lubricate the “front” surface of the gland liberally with Life/form® Simulator Lubricant (LF00985U) or Ivory® liquid detergent before insertion. Lubrication heightens the natural lifelike feel of the gland. Make no other substitutions. Petroleumbased lubricants may attack the vinyl and cause damage to the simulator.
2. Slowly and steadily push the gland-rod down through the guide slot until the gland is firmly seated in the base of the ”pelvic cavity.“ Make any minor positional adjustments of the gland with one hand while applying steady pressure on the gland-rod with the other hand.
3. Swing the metal latch into place to keep the gland stable.
4. ALWAYS use an examination glove, exactly as when palpating a patient. Lubricate the anus and glove liberally with Life/form® Simulator Lubricant or Ivory® liquid detergent. Bare fingers will tear the soft simulated rectal wall.
5. Follow this procedure for insertion of the other glands. Please note the great care taken to duplicate the texture and detail of human tissues represented by the Prostate Examination Simulator. Every effort has been made to encourage its handling and treatment as if it were actually a patient. Given this kind of care, the simulator will serve its purpose for a long time.
Care of Simulator
Use Life/form® Simulator Lubricant (LF00985U) or Ivory® liquid detergent.
Apply lubrication frequently to anal opening and the face of the gland where it contacts the tract. This will minimize tearing and prolong the life of the simulator. (Lubricant not for human application.)
When the skin shows soiling, it can easily be cleaned with a mild solution of Ivory® liquid detergent and water. Do not use abrasive or chemical cleaners. Nasco Cleaner (LF09919U) will remove stubborn stains from the simulator. Simply spray the soiled area and wipe clean with a soft cloth or paper towel.
Place the simulator in a plastic bag. Store in the accompanying carrying case.
Solvents or corrosive materials will damage the simulator. Never place the simulator on any kind of printed paper or plastic. These materials will transfer an indelible stain. Ball-point pens will also make an indelible stain.
Supplies/Replacement Parts for Enema Administration Simulator
LF09919U Nasco Cleaner
LF00985U Nasco Hevi-Lube