For Use with Midline Suture Simulator (LF00691U),
Left Mediolateral Suture Simulator (LF00692U), and
Right Mediolateral Suture Simulator (LF00693U)
1.800.431.4310 eNasco.com Email: [email protected]
COPYRIGHT © NASCO 2018 PRINTED IN U.S.A. NP LF00691
About the Simulators
The Life/form® Mediolateral & Midline Episiotomy Suturing Simulators have been designed to demonstrate and practice the procedure of suturing an episiotomy. The anatomy of the surrounding area has been reproduced to provide as lifelike an appearance as possible. Standard instruments can be used to do the suturing.
The simulators are made of suturable material to provide life-like experiences for students. The material is easy to suture, but tough enough to withstand hundreds of practice hours.
Procedures That Can Be Performed on the Simulators
The procedure for suturing an episiotomy can be performed using standard instruments.
• Needle Holder
• Suture (00 or 000 Chromic Catgut)
General Instructions for Use*
1. It is recommended that the deep sutures be placed first. Therefore, evenly place three interrupted sutures into the perineal incision.
2. Complete the repair by beginning 1 cm above the vaginal apex with a stasis structure. After tying this suture, cut the short end only and continue on with locked mattress sutures to the introitus.
3. Next, insert the needle down into the perineal subcutaneous tissue, just in front of the needle exit hole from the last vaginal structure. In this way, the vaginal suturing will not open up.
4. Continue with evenly placed unlocked continuous surgical gut structures. When the last suture is placed, insert the needle subcutaneously, and exit subcuticularly (1 cm below the epithelium) at the posterior apex of the perineal incision.
5. Begin subcuticular sutures, alternating sides until the introitus is reached again. The suture can be tied off at this point with one last lateral suture to make a tail of the suture with which to tie.
6. Taking the last subcuticular suture back under the hymenal ring into the vagina, one last lateral suture between previously placed mattress sutures can also be done to end the repair. (In this way, the knot will not rub on the perineal pad and cause discomfort to a real woman’s episiotomy.)
*This is only one method, other methods are also acceptable.
Care of Simulators
Normal soil accumulated on the surface of the simulators can be removed with mild soap and lukewarm water.
Solvents or corrosive materials will damage the simulators. Never place on any kind of printed material, paper, or plastic. These materials will transfer indelible stains. Ball- point pens will also make indelible stains.